Ranjitsinh Disale is an Indian teacher who teaches in a public school in Maharashtra. In 2020, he became the first Indian to win the “Global Teacher Prize” for his efforts to promote girls’ education.
Ranjitsinh was born on Friday, August 5, 1988 (32 years old; from 2020) in Paritewadi, Maharashtra. Her zodiac sign is Leo.
Height (approx.): 5 ′ 6 ″
Eye color: Black
Hair color: Black
Fathers and brothers
Her father, Mahadev Disale, is Zilla Parishad’s college coach. His brother’s name is Amit Disale.
In his first school as a teacher, he noticed that the state of the school infrastructure was not good and that most of the girls in the village were from tribal communities. At that time, girls’ education was not promoted in these communities and their marriage in adolescence was very common. Another problem that Disale noticed was that the school’s curriculum was not in the students’ regional language (Kannada), so he started learning Kannada and redesigned all the textbooks from standard 1 to standard 4 in kannada. He also incorporated Kannada audio poems, stories, and video lectures with the unique QR codes, and with his help, students were also able to study from home, especially girls who were not allowed to attend school.
In 2009, he joined Zilla Parishad Primary School, Paritewadi, Maharashtra as an assistant teacher. He has started various projects such as ‘Chup baith Bapu datenge’ and ‘Hora de la vida’ to promote education among children. Their “QR Code Textbooks” project was so successful that the Government of Maharashtra implemented this project across all Maharashtra curricula. He has also copyrighted his creative idea “QR Code Textbooks”. The National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) decided to implement its QR textbook idea in 2019.
Awards and honors
- “Best Project in India” (2015) from Microsoft Corporation for their project “QR-Encoded Textbooks”
- “Best Project in India” (2016) by Microsoft Corporation for its “Virtual Field Trips” project
- “Innovative Researcher of the Year” (2016) by the Central Government of India
- “Innovator of the Year” Award from the National Innovation Foundation in 2018
- Global Teacher Award (2020)
Note: He has many more accolades to his name.
Facts / Trivia
- His full name is Ranjitsinh Mahadev Disale.
- At first, Ranjitsinh wanted to become an engineer, but it didn’t work out for him. So his father suggested that he start his career as a teacher.
- On December 3, 2020, he won the ‘Global Teacher Award’ and a winning amount of Rs 7 million. The announcement was made by Hollywood actor and writer Stephen Fry through a virtual ceremony broadcast from the Natural History Museum in London. Upon winning the award, the Governor of Maharashtra, Bhagat Singh Koshyari, wrote a congratulatory message:
I convey my warmest greetings and congratulations to Shri Ranjitsinh Disale, a teacher at ZP School in Paritewadi, Solapur district, on being chosen for the coveted $ 1 million 2020 Global Teachers Award from the London-based Varkey Foundation. Shri Disale’s work in generating interest in education among children in rural areas, through innovative ideas and the use of technology, is commendable and worthy of being emulated by others ”.
Upon winning the award, Disale said:
Teachers are the true change makers who are changing the lives of their students with a mix of chalk and challenges. They always believe in giving and sharing. And so I am pleased to announce that I will share 50% of the prize money equally among my fellow Top 10 Finalists to support their incredible work. I believe that together we can change this world because sharing is growing. “
- He has also received the titles of “MIE Expert”, “MIE Fellow” and “Skype Master Teacher” from Microsoft Corporation.
- Disale also represented India on the Microsoft Education Exchange (E2) in Toranto, Canada in 2017.
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has recognized his work as one of the three stories from India in his book ‘Hit Refresh’.